Art Blogging Contest

Please vote for Musical Perceptions in the Art Blogging Match of Doom

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

"menuet in E Major" by Bach

I really thought this piece was very beautiful. The beginning started out sounding like a half cadence every two measures... The phrases are symmetric, and the repeated sections after the 1st and 3rd phrases were interesting, because it allowed for smoother transitions. The second phrases starts up a 5th, and the 1st and 2nd phrases were contrasting. I feel that the middle part was very transitional, and that the 3rd phrase was kind of a rephrasing of the 1st phrase.

8 comments:

Martin Buber said...

I would say (Imp) Authentic cadence every two measures at the beginning, since it's in E and ends on an E chord every two measures with an E in the bass. But then there's a B in the sop voice, and that could be what you're hearing as the HC.

Mr. Luxury Yacht said...

If you think the cadence is on the first or third beat in the measure then it would be an IAC. If you put the cadence on beat two then it would be half. I would lean toward putting it on the second beat since it's tied from the first beat followed by a break before the third beat.

Queen_Neopolitan said...

I agree with Mr. Yacht, based on the tied nature of the notes and the break.

Julia MacDonald said...

I too agree with Mr. Yacht. But, why did you find it so beautiful? I want to know how it impacted you.

Minnie Mouse said...

Nicely done. It appears that everyone else did the same piece. But seriously...My good friend Mr. Smirnoff and I are smart enough to know that you are TOP NOTCH!

And I'd also have to say that Mr. Luxury Yacht really has something there.

jendpu said...

I lean more towards the half cadence just because it feels more natural that way. My ears want it. but I don't think the IAC is wrong at all, it really depends on how you hear it.

Djumby said...

Well, to add my two cents here...it seems that everyones comments about IAC or HC are based on stipulations about which beat the cadence is on. Since no one is agreeing on which beat,then neither one is right or wrong. This leaves everything up to listener then...soooo I say we should go ask Bach.....

katie said...

I would like to elaborate on Djumby's comment that neither is right or wrong. I think it is very interesting that people hear things in different ways. It can be argued that it is a HC or and IAC. You just have to go with how you hear it.