Art Blogging Contest

Please vote for Musical Perceptions in the Art Blogging Match of Doom

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Che Faro Senza Euridice - Gluck

And so, as a nice rounding out of the year, we return to Orfeo ed Euridice. To the very aria quoted in the Offenbach--I even got to sing part of! This is a five part rondo: ABACA

The primary section is in CM (it's the part we quoted). I see it as composed of a period of two major phrases, the first four measure ending on an IAC, and then a six measure ending on a PAC. Though these two phrase groups, I feel could be divided further, as there is a HC half way through the first one, and the second is composed of four sub-phrases, the first two parallel and the second two parallel.

The first alternating section is in GM, the dominant. It has a tempo change in the middle. You could divide it up into two main phrases that form a period: the first a seven measure ending on a HC, and the second, a five measure in adagio, ending on a PAC--but this too could be broken down into smaller phrase groups.

Then we have the return of A (same).

C is in cm, and changes tempo. It ends on a HC and is shorter than B.

Then A again.

So this was a five part Rondo with I V I i I scheme.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice. Good info for my exam tomorrow.