Art Blogging Contest

Please vote for Musical Perceptions in the Art Blogging Match of Doom

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Chopin - Mazurka 5 in Bb Major

This piece is in ABACA, with repeats of the A, BA and CA sections. There are no transitions, so it can't be a Sonata-Rondo ... must be a normal, 5-part rondo!

A section: It's a contrasting, assymetrical period. The first phrase ends on a IAC, and the second has a cadential extension that eventually ends on a PAC. This section is repeated, ending on Measure 24. The double bar lines and change in dynamics from forte to piano signal a change of section.

B section: We move to the dominant, F Major. This section is sort of developmental of the A section. It ends on Measure 33. Afterwards there's a recapitulation of the A section in its original form and key. Again, we have double bar lines and a change in dynamics - to pianissimo.

C section: This is very tonally unstable - no distinct cadences. This section is also developmental, and is in gb minor. This section modulates back to Bb Major, ending on Measure 52. After this we return to the A section one last time!

Changes in tempo also serve as structural phenomena - we always return to a tempo when we get back to the A section.

9 comments:

Kaberle said...

good job blogging with structural phenomena updates...it's always a nice touch and helps to clearify points in the piece...

Anonymous said...

Hey nice info you posted.
I just browsing through some blogs and came across yours!

Excellent blog, good to see someone actually uses em for quality posts.

Your site kept me on for a few minutes unlike the rest :)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!.

banner ads said...

There is alot of Blogs, I never guessed I'd find some usefull information.

Thanks.
I'll be back later to see if anymore good updates are available.

cheap car insurance said...

I love blogging! DO you?

Car Insurance said...

Nice blog very informative.

I have a blog too. It is about car insurance

Thanks for the information.

Car Insurance uk said...

Hey nice blog, I'll have to put a back link to it o one of my blogs that are a similar topic.

Thanks.

性爱 said...

I am totally nude come see me. Take a bit for all pics and movies to load.

Why do I do this I like to make men blow their jiz in their pants.

Visit me.裸体

Anonymous said...

I saw your analysis of Chopin's Mazurka No. 5 in Bb major. I'm sorry, but you are incorrect about the C section. What you're calling Gb minor cannot be minor without a Bbb. It is rather just a single phrase that goes Ger+6 to V.

ביטוח רכב said...

Hi……
Really your description is very beautiful. Because I read your blogs.it is very nice and help me to do a car insurance. Mainly your insurance point is like me. So thanks for your blogs.
ביטוח רכב