Art Blogging Contest

Please vote for Musical Perceptions in the Art Blogging Match of Doom

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Beethoven

The chord structure of this excerpt from Beethoven's Piano Sonata in C is as follows: m.41-IV, m.42-I^6/4 and V^7, m.43-I, m.44-V^4/2, m.45-I^6, m.46-IV^6 and Fr^6, m.47-V, m.48-V^4/2, m.49-I^6 and (V^6)/VI, m.50-VI and V, m.51-I.
The augmented sixth chord is in measure 46 and is a French Augmented Sixth Chord. It is approached by a IV^6 chord and is resolved to a root position V chord. The base of the IV^6 chord moves up a half step to make the me of the Fr^6 chord, the Eb remains the same, and the Ab moves up a half step for the Fi of the Fr^6 chord. The Fi of the Fr^6 chord moves up to Sol for the V chord, the Do moves down to Ti, the Le moves down to Sol, and the Re remains as it is for the V chord. This is a normal type of approach and resolution. The chord in measure 49 is not an augmented Sixth chord.  

No comments: