Art Blogging Contest

Please vote for Musical Perceptions in the Art Blogging Match of Doom

Thursday, February 07, 2008

OMG!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Brahms

The text is very important in this song. So, if I decide to sing this song I'd make sure that my diction is very clear. Music is fit into the poetry. This piece is great example of modal mixture and text painting. If you would like to understand the poem you would have to know German very well, because English version is really poor ( so good luck).

The phrase structure is:
-2 m. of piano introduction
-voice starts on SOL DO (wann der )I64
-2+3+3+3+3 =IAC
Chords:
I64, V I64, I64 V7, iii I64, I64 vi, IV V43/V, IV6 IV, viihd7/V V, V iv, flatVII7 flat III,
viidim i6 iihd65, V64-53-64-53 i minor IAC.

The cadence is on the end of the phrase.
traurig-sadly m11 D natural in the soprano sounds very sad ( VIflat), also leads to the key of D
taubenpaar-pair of doves m.17 I6 whit 9-8 goes to V64
wende mich-turn away m.22 vii43 /vi goes to vi6

Authentic cadence on the end.

1 comment:

Scott said...

You have some good ideas, but you need to put them together into a coherent essay. Don't just answer the questions, use them to come up with a complete idea about the piece. See Sarah's post above for a good example.

The first cadence isn't an IAC, it is an HC at m. 8. Then at m. 14 it could be regarded a PAC since the piano does resolve to F# on the last eighth, completing the F# in the voice of m. 13.

The second chord in m. 6 is V43/IV.